Before you can enroll, you must request a seat in a specific FIG using our “Choose your FIG” form. Read the Choose your FIG page.
You are encouraged to talk with your advisor to confirm that you are eligible to take the FIG’s classes (placement tests, etc.) and that these classes fit your academic plan.
You must take all of the classes in your FIG; they are a package and you cannot drop one FIG class without dropping all of them.
When a FIG is full, you may be able to add your name to its waitlist using the “Choose your FIG” form. Spaces on each waitlist are limited.
After carefully following the directions below, are you still having problems enrolling in your FIG? Make an appointment with one of our peer advisors. They can help! Click here for more information.
Fall 2021 students:
Follow these steps after you have requested a spot in a FIG.
The FIGs staff will send you an email when they have completed setting up permissions for you in these reserved classes.
Talk with your academic advisor. They will answer your questions about classes and confirm this FIG is a good fit for your academic goals and your placement tests.
- You will need the “class number” for each FIG class. This is the red five-digit number listed on your FIG’s page on this website. It identifies the specific class meeting (“section”) for you and the other students in your FIG group:
- Open Course Search & Enroll (enroll.wisc.edu), the tool you use to enroll in all your UW–Madison classes.
- Don’t enroll using the “Reserved Sections” filter: it doesn’t correctly show all the classes in some FIGs.
- Do enroll using the “Add by class number” option. This will get you into the correct FIG classes reserved just for you.
- Select “Add by class number.”
- In the box that pops open, type in the five-digit class number for one of your FIG classes.
- Select the “Check credits” button in the lower left corner.
- Most classes have a fixed number of credits. Some offer a choice; if so, choose the number of credits that matches the listing on the FIG’s page.
- Select the blue “Add to cart” button in the lower right corner.
- Repeat this process for the rest of the class numbers for your FIG.
- View your cart. You can find this under MY COURSES on the top menu bar.
- Confirm that all the classes in your FIG are in your cart.
- Double-check that you have the correct class numbers: select a class in your cart. This opens a panel showing all the details for that class, including the class number. Does it match the FIG’s class number?
- Place a checkmark next to all the FIG classes in your cart. You need to enroll in them together as one action.
- Select the “Revalidate” button at the top of the cart.
- Select the “Enroll” button.
- A box may pop open asking you to review options. In this example, the HISTORY 119 class is checking whether the student wants to be added to a waitlist for the class, if the class is full. You already have a reserved spot in the FIG section of this class, so you don’t need to change this option. Just enroll!
- You may encounter other error message or warnings. Please try to enroll anyway.
- You can confirm your enrolled classes with the “Enrolled” tab in “My Courses.”
The professors in my FIG were the most influential and challenging professors that I have had at this university. These were classes and experiences I never would have had if I wasn’t part of a FIG, and these were experiences that have shaped my perspective, my academic experience, and who I am now.